Terry Wahls, MD
Dr. Terry Wahls is an Institute for Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner and a clinical professor of medicine at the University of Iowa where she conducts clinical trials. In 2018 she was awarded the Institute for Functional Medicine’s Linus Pauling Award for her contributions in research, clinical care, and patient advocacy. In addition, Dr. Wahls has secondary progressive multiple sclerosis, which led her to use a tilt-recline wheelchair for four years. Dr. Wahls restored her health using a diet and lifestyle program she designed specifically for her brain and now pedals her bike to work each day. She is the author of. The Wahls Protocol: How I Beat Progressive MS Using Paleo Principles and Functional Medicine, The Wahls Protocol: A Radical New Way to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions Using Paleo Principles.(paperback), and the cookbook. The Wahls Protocol Cooking for Life: The Revolutionary Modern Paleo Plan to Treat All Chronic Autoimmune Conditions.
The Wahls lab investigates observational studies of diet and interventional studies of diet and lifestyle on various health outcomes. In addition, the Wahls lab conducts interventional clinical trials of diet and lifestyle in the setting of multiple sclerosis. The diets that the Wahls lab has investigated include the modified Palaeolithic (Wahls), low saturated fat (Swank), ketogenic, and Dietary Guidelines for Americans diets. Learn more about her current clinical trials at https://wahls.lab.uiowa.
- Why I Use A Continuous Glucose Monitor (CGM) To Manage My Multiple Sclerosis
- Measure and Track Glucose and Keytones
- A Nutritionists Approach to Functional Medicine
- Lipid profile is associated with decreased fatigue in individuals with progressive multiple sclerosis following a diet-based intervention: Results from a pilot study
- Review of Two Popular Eating Plans within the Multiple Sclerosis Community: Low Saturated Fat and Modified Paleolithic
- Impact of the Swank and Wahls elimination dietary interventions on fatigue and quality of life in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: The WAVES randomized parallel-arm clinical trial
- Dietary approaches to treat MS-related fatigue: comparing the modified Paleolithic (Wahls Elimination) and low saturated fat (Swank) diets on perceived fatigue in persons with relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial